Post-doctoral Fellow in Early Childhood Development
The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH) is a world-leading institute in global health with a particular focus on low- and middle-income countries. Associated with the University of Basel, Swiss TPH combines research, services, and education and training at the local, national and international level. Over 800 people from more than 70 nations work at Swiss TPH focusing on infectious and non-communicable diseases, environment, society and health as well as health systems and interventions.
Within the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health (EPH), our Households Economics and Health Systems Research Unit develops and applies economic, epidemiological, statistical and mathematical methods to advance innovation, validation and application in the field of public health. To support our efforts in the area of early childhood development, we are looking for a Post-doctoral Fellow in Early Childhood Development.
The post-doctoral research fellow will work with local and international partners on newly established child cohorts in Brazil, C te d'Ivoire, Peru, Tanzania and Zambia. Responsibilities of the post-doc will include development of data collection tools, coordination of field work, study management and IRB clearance, as well as data analysis and drafting of manuscripts for scientific publications. The post-doc will also support the PI in the development of new projects and submission of grant applications.
Experience and skill requirements
This is a highly competitive position with a starting salary of USD 80k per year. To best fit our unit we expect the following qualifications:
- PhD in early childhood education, psychology or economics from a leading research university
- Demonstrated interest in, and experience with, early childhood interventions in low and middle income countries
- Experience in data analysis with STATA or R.
- Good communication skills, strong team spirit and ability to work with professionals in a multi-cultural context
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team on research programmes
- Excellent command of English (speaking and writing) and demonstrated ability to publish in peer-reviewed journals
- Willingness to conduct research activities and spend time in low income countries.
We offer you
Start of employment: July 2019 (with some flexibility).
Appointments will be made for an initial period of two years, but can be renewed if there is mutual interest.
Application / Contact
To be considered, applications must be received by February 28th 2019.
We look forward to receiving your online application with
- motivation letter
- PhD course transcripts including grades
- writing sample (published or unpublished manuscript)
- names and contact information (email or phone) of 3 references.
Note that we can only accept applications via our online recruiting tool. Only complete applications will be considered.
For further information about the position, please visit our website
Forward to online application at