PhD student in Health Policy and Systems Research
The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH) is a world-leading institute in global health with a particular focus on low- and middle-income countries. Associated with the University of Basel, Swiss TPH combines research, services, and education and training at the local, national and international level. Over 800 people from more than 70 nations work at Swiss TPH focusing on infectious and non-communicable diseases, environment, society and health as well as health systems and interventions.
Within the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health (EPH), our Households Economics and Health Systems Research Unit develops and applies economic, epidemiological, statistical and mathematical methods to advance innovation, validation and application in the field of public health. To support our research efforts in health policy and systems research we are looking for a PhD student in Health Policy and Systems Research
We are seeking a PhD student to join a multidisciplinary team working in several health policy and system research projects. The successful student will develop her/his doctoral studies, in the context of international collaborations, contributing to projects aimed at investigating how to improve social health protection systems. The successful student will be registered in the PhD program in Epidemiology/Public Health of the University of Basel.
Required qualifications for the PhD position are:
- MSc in Health Policy, Public Health, Health Economics, Economics or related topics from a leading research university
- Interest in health policy and system research using a range of research methods
- Basic skills in managing and analysing quantitative and qualitative data
- Good programming and analytical skills
- Good communication skills, strong spirit of team work and initiative, and ability to work with professionals in a multi-cultural context
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team on research programmes
- Excellent command of English (speaking and writing)
- Willingness to conduct research activities and spend time in low income countries.
Start of employment: as soon as possible
The successful student will be employed by Swiss TPH at the salary rate defined by the Swiss National Science Foundation for doctoral students. The PhD position will be for a period of three years, however, an internal research commission must successfully be passed by the incumbent after one year.
To be considered, applications must be received by March 10th 2019.
We look forward to receiving your online application with
- motivation letter
- MSc course transcripts including grades
- research interests statement (max 1500 words)
- names and contact information (email or phone) of 3 references.
Note that we can only accept applications via our online recruiting tool. Applications via email will not be considered.
Application / Contact
For further information about the position, please visit our website
Forward to online application at