User Engagement Manager - Copernicus Services
1. Position information
Vacancy No.: VN19-06 Department: Copernicus Services Grade: A4 Service: Copernicus Joint Services Job Ref. No.: STF-PL/19-06 Reports to: Director of Copernicus Services Publication Date: 14 February 2019 Closing Date: 26 March 2019
2. About ECMWF
ECMWF is both a research institute and a 24/7 operational service, producing and disseminating numerical weather predictions to its Member States. ECMWF carries out scientific and technical research directed to the improvement of its forecasts, collects and processes large amounts of observations, and manages a long-term archive of meteorological data. Satellite and in situ observations provide the information for up-to-date global analyses and climate reanalyses of the atmosphere, ocean and land surface.
For details, see www.ecmwf.int/.
ECMWF has been entrusted to operate the Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service (CAMS) and the Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S) on behalf of the European Commission until the end of 2020. Copernicus is the European Union (EU) flagship Earth-observation programme. The Copernicus programme ensures operational monitoring of the atmosphere, oceans, and continental surfaces, and provides reliable, validated information services for a range of environmental and security applications. Based on the exploitation of space based and in situ observations and models, Copernicus provides information services for land, marine, atmospheric and climate monitoring, as well as emergency management and security. For details, see www.copernicus.eu/.
The Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service (CAMS) service provides consistent and qualitycontrolled information related to air pollution and health, solar energy, greenhouse gases and climate forcing, everywhere in the world. For details, see www.atmosphere.copernicus.eu/
The Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S) service provides authoritative information about the past, present and future climate, as well as tools to enable climate change mitigation and adaptation strategies by policy makers and businesses. For details, see www.climate.copernicus.eu/
3. Summary of the role
ECMWF is recruiting a User Engagement Manager within the Copernicus Services Department.
The User Engagement Manager will lead the development and growth of the user uptake for both CAMS and C3S services. He or she will be a member of the Copernicus management team and will report to the Director of Copernicus.
Currently, there are over 50,000 CAMS and C3S registered users, from both the public and the private sectors, with very diverse backgrounds and needs, and are from different communities, such as scientific, research, academia, policy makers at EU, national and local levels, down-stream service providers, businesses, private users and the public in general.
The scope of this role is to consolidate and increase the users base and audiences of both services, by proactively engaging with our users and clients, by responding to existing user requirements and needs, as well as identifying new and emerging needs.
The successful candidate will work closely with the ECMWF Copernicus scientific, operational, communications, training and user support teams to ensure that the services and products fulfil current and evolving users’ needs and expectations, both in terms of products and quality of service. He or she will establish and maintain relationships with existing and new users, engaging with them throughout their journey as “clients” of the CAMS and C3S services. He or she will represent and promote the ECMWF Copernicus services with stakeholders, partners and the different user communities.
This role will involve frequent travel within Europe, in particular to Brussels.
4. Main duties and key responsibilities
The main duties and responsibilities are the following:
- Driving the adoption of CAMS and C3S products to increase uptake and impact, and deliver high user satisfaction
- Promoting the CAMS and C3S products and services to stakeholders, partners and user communities.
- Presenting and showcasing the CAMS and C3S services in high level meetings, workshops, events, and international fora
- Creating and managing user engagement, building and maintaining strong relationships with key users and communities, identifying new prospects
- Developing impactful marketing and value proposition materials and strategies adapted to the different audiences and user communities, in close coordination with the Communications team.
- Analysing CAMS and C3S positioning in their worldwide landscape, proposing strategies and action plans to reinforce the reputation and position of CAMS and C3S in their ecosystem
- Working closely with existing and new users to match their needs with service products
- Creating and identifying new opportunities to on board new users or clients, pursue these opportunities proactively, maintain open lines of communication with users, and accompany users in their journey to ensure that the CAMS and C3S products and quality of service fulfils their needs
- Acting as the “voice” of the user, and liaising with ECMWF Copernicus scientific, operational and user support teams to ensure delivery of services/tools/applications tailored to user needs
- Liaising with institutional bodies at European level, to ensure fitness for purpose of the Services to inform relevant regulations, legislations, etc.
- Ensuring that CAMS and C3S products are adapted to user needs, including as required the development of tailored-made use-cases, turn-key solutions or demonstrators
- Collecting the necessary feedback from the user uptake activities from across the two Services and maintaining the relevant User Requirement Data Bases (URDB) and the User Requirement Analysis Documents (URAD)
- Developing the annual user uptake strategy, and implementing the associated work plans,
- Contributing to the regular reporting required by the European Commission
- Contributing to the development of the Services Evolution Strategies, based on user feedback and in close coordination with the Heads of CAMS and C3S services
5. Personal attributes
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively to different audiences, both verbally and in writing, excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well in multidisciplinary teams
- Demonstrated ability to build customer/user relationships and establish value added user services
- Creativity and proactivity, ability to work autonomously and to take initiatives
- Ability to multi-task, handle multiple projects, and drive projects to completion
- Detail oriented, and excellent problem-solving skills
6. Qualifications and experience required
Advanced degree in atmospheric sciences, engineering, international business, marketing or another relevant subject is required.
Experience and Qualifications
Substantial years of experience in marketing and customer/user engagement role, as well as business development and business strategic analyses.
Experience of developing relationships at all levels of customer organizations.
Good understanding of atmospheric and climate science products and related services and user communities
Good knowledge of the Earth Observation market and related European policies
Direct knowledge and experience of working with EU institutions would be an advantage.
Experience in B2B sales and/or institutional customers within the Earth Observation sector would be an advantage
Experience of working in and/or leading international projects and/or with an international customers base would be an advantage
Candidates must be able to work effectively in English and interviews will be conducted in English.
A good knowledge of one of the Centre’s other working languages (French or German) would be an advantage.
7. Other information
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A4 grade, according to the scales of the Coordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £84,907.44 net of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-PL as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Contract to 30 September 2021, with possibility of renewal depending on the
next phase of the Copernicus programme (2021-2027).
Location: The position will be based in the Reading area, in Berkshire, United Kingdom.
8. How to apply
Please apply by completing the online application form available at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs.
To contact the ECMWF Recruitment Team, please email email@example.com
At ECMWF, we consider an inclusive environment as key for our success. We are dedicated to ensuring a workplace that embraces diversity and provides equal opportunities for all, without distinction as to race, gender, age, marital status, social status, disability, sexual orientation, religion, personality, ethnicity and culture. We value the benefits derived from a diverse workforce and are committed to having staff that reflect the diversity of the countries that are part of our community, in an environment that nurtures equality and inclusion.
Staff are usually recruited from among nationals of the following Member States and Co-operating States:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, France, Hungary, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Morocco, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.
Staff from other countries may be considered in exceptional cases
Employer's other advertisements
ECONOMICS AND REGULATION OF GRIDS (WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION OF THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS)
Vienna University of Technology - TU Wien Vienna
Full Professor Position to Lead the IN4ACT Era Chair in Research on the Economic and Managerial Impact of Future Manufacturing (Industry 4.0)
Kaunas University of Technology (KTU) Lithuania
Tenure Track Assistant Professor position in Distributed Systems
Umeå University Umeå
PhD position on the project Nuclear roles of members of the ATG8 family of autophagy proteins
UiT The Arctic University of Norway Troms
Assistenz im Rahmen des Doktoratsprogramms SEEDam Schulpsychologischen Dienst Basel-Stadt
University of Basel Basel
Studentische/r Hilfsassistent/in Forschungsadministration
University of Basel Basel
University of Eastern Finland - UEF Finland
Clinical Trial Assistant (CTA) with finance background
University of Basel Basel
Short Term Internship
Research Fellow in Propulsion Aerodynamics
Cranfield University United Kingdom
Assistant Professor in Molecular Biogeochemistry of Permafrost Systems
Stockholm University Stockholm
Researcher, Environmental Fluid Mechanics Laboratory
University of Cyprus Cyprus
Applied Physicist for Vacuum Analysis and Modelling
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Finance
Coventry University United Kingdom