PhD Position, VR/AR Headphone Technologies
Sennheiser Electronic, Hannover, GERMANY
Starting date / Duration
01.08.2019, 3 years fixed Term
This PhD is one of 15 related but complementary positions of the project VRACE (Virtual Reality Audio for Cyber Environments) which is funded by the European Commission within the framework of the Marie Curie / Innovative Training Network program. VRACE deals with analysis, modelling, numerical simulation and reconstruction of 3D soundscapes for applications in Virtual and Augmented Reality (VR/AR). The consortium of VRACE is highly multidisciplinary and comprises 9 cooperating Universities and their industrial partners, such as Siemens, Mueller-BBM, Sennheiser and Facebook Reality Labs (former Oculus). More information: https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/220824
Sennheiser is one of the world's leading manufacturers of premium electro-acoustic products. We currently employ more than 2,800 people, with over 400 in R&D. Considering 3D audio as the next big step, Sennheiser started the AMBEO 3D audio research & innovation program at our 3 research locations in Germany, Switzerland and the US.
YOUR RESEARCH TOPIC
You optimize the auralisation step within the virtualisation task. The headphone used for auralisation is a complex sound generation and transmission system and has a significant influence on the accuracy of sound representation.
- To enhance the accuracy of sound reproduction you develop an accurate modelling and perform numerical simulations of the sound generation and transmission characteristics inside the headphone-ear-canal system.
- Furthermore, you investigate the influence of perception related effects like occlusion, haptic perception, hear through transparency on virtualisation realism and you propose an approach for compensation.
- You have no or not more than four years (full-time equivalent) of research experience
- You must not have resided in Germany for more than 12 months in the last 3 years
- M.Sc. in engineering, physics or a closely related discipline with relevant experience in computer programming
- Strong background in acoustics/vibroacoustics with practical experience in acoustic measurement techniques
- Research spirit with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Enthusiasm to participate in highly interdisciplinary research spanning across acoustics, numerical methods and virtual reality with the ability to interact in good verbal and writing communication skills in English
- Ability to participate in trainings at the facilities of other consortium members across Europe and in the US
- Good Skills in audio signal processing
- Proficiency in FEM simulation software (e.g. COMSOL, ANSYS etc.)
- Experience in audio for VR/AR
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your application to Dr. Hatem Röschmann-Foudhaili email@example.com
Your application must contain
- Motivation Letter. Please provide information about the compliance with the first 2 essential criteria
- Copies of diplomas and attestations
- If possible, electronic document containing the master’s Thesis.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply; the consortium strives to improve gender balance in research.
Applicant Data Protection: Please be aware that - in accordance with the VRACE Grant Agreement and EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - your CV may be shared with the beneficiaries within the consortium, as part of the application review process.
ECONOMICS AND REGULATION OF GRIDS (WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION OF THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS)
Vienna University of Technology - TU Wien Vienna
Professor in Business Administration, with specialisation in consumer marketing
Open Position: for a Scientific Coordinator, or Master in Science
University of Basel Basel
University of Basel Basel
Special Scientist, FOSS Research Centre for Sustainable Energy
University of Cyprus Cyprus