Postdoc on clinical validation - sleep disorders.
Postdoc on clinical validation of contactless vital signs monitoring techniques for sleep disorders.
External Partners: Philips Research, Kempenhaeghe Center for Sleep Medicine
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is one of Europe's top technological universities, situated in the heart of one of Europe's largest high-tech innovation ecosystems. Research at TU/e is characterized by a combination of academic excellence and a strong real-world impact. This impact is often obtained via close collaboration with high-tech industries and key clinical centers.
In the Healthcare field, TU/e is part of a large collaborative multidisciplinary research program called the Eindhoven MedTech Innovation Center (e/MTIC). e/MTIC focuses in part on improved diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders, with the Kempenhaeghe Center for Sleep Medicine serving as the primary clinical partner. For this project we are looking for a postdoc who will be appointed at TU/e, but also embedded for a part of his/her time at Kempenhaeghe and Philips Research, both located in the direct vicinity of TU/e.
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a sleep-related breathing disorder, characterized by intermittent disruptions of normal breathing patterns during sleep. Its prevalence is increasing, and around 100 million people suffer from OSA worldwide. OSA is an important cause of increased cardiovascular risk, and even all-cause mortality.
The current clinical standard for OSA diagnosis uses polysomnography (PSG), which requires costly sleep center facilities, overnight hospitalization, and instrumentation that may disrupt the normal sleep pattern of patients. There is a strong need to develop unobtrusive alternatives that can be used in an ambulatory setting. This project explores such alternatives in the form three innovative and fully contactless measurement principles: speckle vibrometry, remote photo-plethysmography and remote thermography. The project team will develop and validate these techniques for application in OSA detection. A successful outcome of this project will have a direct impact on current sleep medicine diagnostics at sleep centers by making PSG significantly less obtrusive. The nature of contactless technologies also realistically places home monitoring of sleep patients on the horizon.
The postdoc in this project will be responsible for the implementation and validation of the different technologies in the sleep clinic. This challenging position bridges the gap between technology development and real-life application. For smooth implementation of the technology, the candidate should be experienced with working in a clinical setting, but at the same time have affinity with technical health care innovation. This requires knowledge of clinical trial design and very good organization skills. Experience with signal processing is an advantage.
Besides the project specific tasks, the postdoc will be involved in other activities of the sleep group and the supervision of PhD students.
The ideal candidate is pro-active, highly motivated, and independent, and has proven experience with the design and execution of clinical (validation) trials. The candidate has also affinity with working in an interdisciplinary setting, bringing together clinicians and technicians. Therefore excellent organization and communication skills are required. We are looking for candidates that match the following profile:
- A PhD degree in (technical) medicine, neuroscience or related disciplines.
- Good publication record.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Experience with clinical trial design.
- Affinity with technology development, signal processing and vital signs monitoring.
- A team player who enjoys coaching of PhD and Master students in interdisciplinary teams.
- Very good communication skills.
- Excellent English language skills (writing and presenting).
Working knowledge of the Dutch language, at least at the level of the NT2 qualification
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
We offer an exciting job in the group Signal Processing Systems of the Eindhoven University of Technology:
- A full time appointment for 3 years at Eindhoven University of Technology http://www.tue.nl/en/
- Gross monthly salaries and conditions are in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement of the Dutch Universities (CAO NU), scale 10, depending on your experience.
- Interesting cooperation with the high-tech industry in- and outside The Netherlands.
- An attractive package of benefits, including end-of-year allowance and excellent sport facilities.
More information on employment conditions can be found here: http://www.tue.nl/en/university/working-at-tue/working-conditions/ .
If interested, please use the 'apply now'-button at the top of this page. You should upload the following:
- A letter of motivation and portfolio with relevant work.
- A cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position.
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications and key achievements in research project(s)).
- Contact information of two references.
- Copies of diplomas with course grades.
Please keep in mind; you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each.
Employer's other advertisements
ECONOMICS AND REGULATION OF GRIDS (WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION OF THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS)
Vienna University of Technology - TU Wien Vienna
Head of Copernicus Contract Management
European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts - ECMWF United Kingdom
Postdoctroal Researcher (Forest soil science)
University of Eastern Finland - UEF Finland
Research Manager, Cell- and Tissue imaging
University of Eastern Finland - UEF Finland
PhD position in Plant Adaptation to Climate Change
University of Basel Basel