Assistant Professor in Machining Systems
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, Skolan för industriell teknik och management
The subject includes technology focused on the development and manufacture of advanced equipment such as machine tools and associated processes.
The employment includes research to develop knowledge that can be used both in the teaching of next generation engineers and technical doctors and also to support the business sector in the ongoing change towards more sustainable and efficient systems where Machine tools are included as main parts. The duties are divided between research (70%) and teaching (30%). In research, the activities are focused on sustainability aspects where machinery and processes are important ingredients for achieving stable and resource efficient production systems. The Assistant Professor is expected to contribute to leading the development of the department's various investments in the field of sustainability and link these to the overall goals of the ITM school and KTH. The tasks include publishing, networking and seeking research funding. The duties in education include lectures, supervision and the creation of new courses.
The assistant professor will be given opportunity to develop their independence as researcher and gain accreditation that may allow them to take other teaching positions with higher eligibility requirements (see Chapter 4, Section 12 a of the Higher Education Ordinance). Following application, the assistant professor can apply for promotion to associate professor in accordance with Chapter 4, Section 12 c of the Higher Education Ordinance.
An individual who has obtained a PhD or equivalent research expertise is qualified for appointment as an assistant professor. Candidates who met those qualifications within five years prior to expiration of the application period should be prioritized. Other candidates may also be considered if there are extraordinary grounds for doing so. Extraordinary grounds refer to illness, parental leave or similar circumstances.
Grounds of assessments
The assessment criteria for appointment as an assistant professor at KTH are stated in KTH's appointments procedure section 1.3, and apply in relation to the employment profile laid down.
Of highest importance is that the applicant has
- research expertise demonstrated through research publications, conference attendance, attendance of research cooperation and also other undertakings in the scientific community such as for example, assignments as a reviewer or expert.
- postdoc visits to a research environment other than the university at which the applicant defended their doctoral thesis. At least two-year experience from research and development work within the industry or consultancy work, in relevant areas, is considered to correspond to a traditional postdoc visit to another university.
- Experience from the independent work of planning and execution of industrial research assignments.
Of second highest importance is that the applicant has
- documented experience from design of measuring systems and practical work with measurement and analysis of machine tools and other mechanical systems physical properties such as dynamics.
- experience of industrial research collaboration in relevant fields.
- an interest in and understanding of pedagogical development within the subject field in question.
- potential to qualify for a higher teaching post. This includes the potential for independent development as a researcher and teacher within the subject field in question and also the ability to establish, review and develop the research area in question.
- an interest in and understanding of leadership in an academic environment, third-stream activities, and awareness of diversity and equal treatment issues with a particular focus on gender equality.
It is also important that the applicant has
- administrative expertise.
Special grounds of assessment for promotion to associate professor
When assessing applications for promotion to associate professor, the applicant's ability to independently initiate and carry out research of high academic quality, published in international publications, and the applicant's ability to obtain financing for research operations will be assessed. Of highest importance is the applicant's ability to independently establish new collaborations and research specializations. It is also of highest importance that the applicant has displayed teaching and supervising expertise. Ability to teach in Swedish is a merit that is given great importance in the application for promotion.
Trade union representatives
Contact information to trade union representatives can be found at KTH's web page .
Your application should follow KTH's CV template for employment of teachers . It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete according to the requirements in the ad and CV template.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Log into KTH recruitment system in order to apply to this position.
Time limitation:The appointment is for an indefinite term, but no more than six years, and may be extended if, due to the teacher s absence due to sick leave, parental leave or other special grounds, more time is required to reach the objectives of the appointment. However, the total appointment period may not exceed eight years. The appointment is part of the Tenure Track system at KTH and the assistant professor may apply for promotion to tenured associate professor.
For more information regarding KTH's assessment, see Appointments procedure at KTH
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Salary: Monthly pay
Reference number: M-2019-0625
Last application date: 2019-08-21
Employer's other advertisements
ECONOMICS AND REGULATION OF GRIDS (WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION OF THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS)
Vienna University of Technology - TU Wien Vienna
GRANTS FOR POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH IN THE UNITED STATES
Research Manager/in (50%), Leitung der Geschäftsstelle der Universitären Ethikkommission (30%)
University of Basel Basel
Researcher in Glycoscience
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan Stockholm
Lehrstelle Kauffrau / Kaufmann
University of Basel Basel