Doctoral student positions in Networked Systems
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, Skolan för elektroteknik och datavetenskap
Third-cycle subject: Information and communication technology
The advertised doctoral student positions are within an ambitious, 5-year European Research Council (ERC) Consolidator Project titled ULTRA . In this 2 Million EUR project, we want to dramatically change the way Internet Services are constructed.
Your work will entail design, implementation, and evaluation of distributed systems and networks for building ultra-low latency Internet services. Examples include advanced highly streamlined server software, Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) chains at the true speed of the underlying hardware, intra datacenter load-balancing, and agile and efficient geo-distributed data storage systems that meet their Service Level Objectives.
You will be part of the Network Systems Laboratory (NSLab), with your studies supervised by Professor Dejan Kostic.
In addition to your doctoral studies, you will be expected to teach or perform other departmental duties up to 20% of full-time. Doctoral student employment at KTH offers excellent conditions with competitive salaries, health care, social security, and contributions to pension funds.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic international research environment in close cooperation with industries and advanced universities the world over.
- Life-long network through KTH's Alumni organization .
- A personal study plan to support your development within your areas of interest.
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH's doctoral student salary agreement .
- Work and study in Stockholm, one of Europe s fastest growing capitals, which is close to both nature and the sea.
- Help to relocate and get settled in Sweden and at KTH .
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
In order to succeed as an doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. In the selection of the applicants, the following will be assessed:
The applicant should hold a Master s of Science degree or a similar degree which fulfills the entry requirements for doctoral studies at KTH.
A successful candidate needs to have: (1) a strong background in distributed systems, networking, programming, and operating systems, (2) excellent knowledge of written and spoken English
- ability to independently pursue his or hers work,
- ability to collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competence and suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral Degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those who are or have been admitted to third-cycle studies may be employed as a doctoral student. The term of the initial contract may not exceed one year and may thereafter be extended. Doctoral students may engage in teaching, research, and administration corresponding to a maximum of 20 % of a full-time position.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website .
Doctoral section (Students union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Salary: Monthly salary according to kth's doctoral student salary agreement
Reference number: J-2019-1415
Last application date: 2019-08-31
Employer's other advertisements
ECONOMICS AND REGULATION OF GRIDS (WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION OF THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS)
Vienna University of Technology - TU Wien Vienna
Head of Copernicus Contract Management
European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts - ECMWF United Kingdom
Postdoctroal Researcher (Forest soil science)
University of Eastern Finland - UEF Finland
Research Manager, Cell- and Tissue imaging
University of Eastern Finland - UEF Finland
PhD position in Plant Adaptation to Climate Change
University of Basel Basel