Doctoral student in designed biochar for removal of impurities from water
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, Skolan för industriell teknik och management
Third-cycle subject: Materials Science and Engineering
Reclamation and re-use of waste water have big potential to solve the shortage of water problem in order to achieve one of the UN sustainable goals. The emerging contaminants in the wastewater after the anaerobic digestion is phosphorus and pharmaceutical. An efficient and economical solution to removal phosphorus and pharmaceutical is urgent demanded. Adsorptive processes have been among most recommended due to their efficiency, versatility, simplicity, and the non-formation of hazardous products. The utilization of waste-based adsorbents has emerged as a sustainable alternative to conventional activated carbons (AC) from non-renewable precursors. Further on, it was known that most of the traditional engineered carbons, for example, activated carbon and biochar, however, have limited ability to adsorb P or other anionic nutrients. Recent researching shows that impregnation of metals or metal salts into biomass then following by pyrolysis can modify the biochar physicochemical properties, thus this kind of metal-blend biochar can be used as adsorbent for example adsorbing phosphorus.
In this position, the work will start by screening the possibilities of feedstocks, such as biomass, sewage sludge from waste water plants and paper sludge. Then a process to make the function activated carbon basing on pyrolysis of impregnation metals salts will be proposed and tested in the laboratory. The work will start to produce function activated carbon for removal phosphorus, then extent to adsorption pharmaceutical with the same or new function activated carbon. Meantime, the vapors during the pyrolysis of the impregnated metals salts will be characterized in order to investigate the potential application.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic international research environment in close cooperation with industries and advanced universities the world over.
- Life-long network through KTH's Alumni organization .
- A personal study plan to support your development within your areas of interest.
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH's doctoral student salary agreement .
- Work and study in Stockholm, one of Europe s fastest growing capitals, which is close to both nature and the sea.
- Help to relocate and get settled in Sweden and at KTH .
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
The successful applicant should have documented knowledge of biomass pyrolysis, or gasification , and well developed analytical and problem solving skills. Knowledge and experience on carbon materials are considered as a merit.
In order to succeed as an doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. In the selection of the applicants, the following will be assessed:
- ability to independently pursue his or hers work,
- ability to collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
We are looking for a strongly motivated person, who is able to work independently. Good communication skills in English, by speaking and writing, is required to publish and present results at international conferences and in scientific journals.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those who are or have been admitted to third-cycle studies may be employed as a doctoral student. The term of the initial contract may not exceed one year and may thereafter be extended. Doctoral students may engage in teaching, research, and administration corresponding to a maximum of 20 % of a full-time position.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website .
Doctoral section (Students union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Salary: Monthly salary according to kth's doctoral student salary agreement
Reference number: M-2019-1302
Last application date: 2019-08-12
Employer's other advertisements
ECONOMICS AND REGULATION OF GRIDS (WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION OF THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS)
Vienna University of Technology - TU Wien Vienna
Head of Copernicus Contract Management
European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts - ECMWF United Kingdom
Postdoctroal Researcher (Forest soil science)
University of Eastern Finland - UEF Finland
Research Manager, Cell- and Tissue imaging
University of Eastern Finland - UEF Finland
PhD position in Plant Adaptation to Climate Change
University of Basel Basel