Lecturer within water and environmental engineering
About Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU)
NMBU has a special responsibility for research and education that ensures the basis of life for future generations.
Sustainability is rooted in everything we do and we provide knowledge for life.
NMBU has 1700 employees and 5200 students and is organized in seven faculties. NMBU has a campus in Ås and in Oslo. In the autumn of 2020 we are co-located on Ås. Further information on NMBU is available at www.nmbu.no
About the position
The Faculty of Science and Technology at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) has a vacant permanent full time position as a lecturer within water and environmental engineering.
The water and environmental engineering group (the WESH-group) is responsible for the five years study program in water and environmental engineering with about 35 graduates each year. In addition to permanent staff, the group also consists of about 10 PhD-students and some postdoctors.
Because of growing student numbers, there is a need for increased staffing.
The water and environmental engineering group currently has two vacant permanent positions: Lecturer within water and environmental engineering (this announcement) and one position as Professor/ associate professor (see separate announcement “Professor/associate professor within water and environmental engineering” - ref 19/02997”)
A new national centre for water infrastructure will be located at Campus Ås and is currently being planned. The centre will have a special focus on transport systems for water, wastewater and stormwater. The centre will accommodate the water sector’s need for training facilities, education and innovation.
- Teaching undergraduate and graduate level courses, mainly within transport systems for water, wastewater and stormwater
- Supervision of MSc students
- Development and modernization of the study program in water and environmental engineering
- Some research and development, mainly related to transport systems for water, wastewater and stormwater
- Administrative work
Please read more about the position here
Required Academic qualifications
- MSc degree within a relevant field
- Relevant experience from engineering practice (design/planning, construction and operation/maintenance of water and wastewater systems, emphasizing pipe networks and transport systems, stormwater management and pollution from wastewater networks)
- Sufficient breadth of experience for teaching broad undergraduate courses in water and environmental engineering
- Fluency in a Scandinavian language, oral and written, as undergraduate courses are taught in Norwegian
- Fluency in oral and written English
Desired Academic qualifications
- Experience with and knowledge of the Norwegian water sector, including regulations
- Expertise within one or more areas that are relevant to the position. Examples could be: Hydraulics (pressurized, free surface), pumping systems, urban hydrology, (sustainable) stormwater management, water and wastewater in municipal planning processes, climate effects on water and waste water systems, water systems in cold climates, pipe technology, trench/construction technology including no-dig solutions, rehabilitation planning, GIS, modeling, digital systems for operation and management of water infrastructure, including cybersecurity
- Experience from applied research and/or development of technology and systems solutions within the field
- Ability to assess the interplay between water transport and water quality
- General competency within mathematical/statistical modeling and scientific programming
- Experience with and knowledge of relevant software packages used in engineering practice
- Experience with project acquisition, management and execution
Besides scientific expertise, we put emphasis on teaching experience, pedagogical and administrative expertise, and project experience. Applicants without formal training in pedagogy commits to, within two years to undertake NMBUs course in university teaching.
Required personal skills
- A genuine interest in teaching and dissemination
- Good cooperative and communication skills
Desired personal skills
- Documented pedagogical skills and/or teaching experience
- Suitability and motivation for academic leadership within teaching
- Suitability and motivation for creating a strong research group and participate in interdisciplinary networks for researchers
- Creativity and ability to initiate projects, acquire funding and manage research and development projects
- Interest in international R&D and/or education projects
- Interest in innovation and cooperation with industry
Remuneration and information
The position as lecturer is placed in government pay scale position code 1009 Lecturer, salary grade 53- 67 (NOK 472 000 – 605 500, depending on qualifications. Seniority promotion in position. For highly qualified candidates, higher remuneration may be considered
Information to applicants
For further information, please contact
Professor Arve Heistad (head of water group): tel. +47 901 15 543, e-mail email@example.com
Professor Roberto Tomasi (head of section for construction and water engineering): tel. +47 407 23 057, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- An optimistic academic institution with focus on professional development, dissemination and competence.
- An interdisciplinary and inclusive environment that provides exciting research- and development opportunities.
- Daily contact with inspiring students and skilled colleagues.
- Various welfare schemes.
- Beautiful surroundings just outside Oslo.
- Kindergarten for children of employees
- The opportunity to further develop a research group and study program in growth
- The opportunity for cooperation with the upcoming national centre for water infrastructure at Campus Ås
- Newly renovate office space (private offices)
- The opportunity to obtain a PhD degree in the long term (a significantly slower progression must be expected than for full time PhD candidates
To apply online for this vacancy, please click on the 'Apply for this job' button above. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form. Diplomas, publications and certificates should be attached. Application deadline: 31.08.2019
Printed material which cannot be sent electronically should be sent by surface mail to the Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Faculty of Science and Technology, P.O. Box 5003, NO-1432 Ås, within 31.08.2019. Please quote reference number 19/03017.
Applicants invited for an interview will be asked to present verified copies of diplomas and certificates.
NMBU wants more women in academic positions. Women are therefore especially encouraged to apply.
The Faculty of Science and Technology has 130 employees, about 1,100 students and about 70 PhD students. The Faculty offers bachelor, master and doctoral degrees in natural sciences and engineering in the fields of Environmental Physics and Renewable Energy, Data Science, Robotics, Building and Architecture, Water and Environmental Technology, Machine-, Process and Product Development, Geomatics and Educational Sciences. The workplace is in Ås, 30 km from Oslo. Further information may be found at: https://www.nmbu.no/en/faculty/realtek
Employer's other advertisements
Researcher/ postdoc position within the area nutrition and health in salmon and other domestic animals – omics technologies and bioinformatics
ECONOMICS AND REGULATION OF GRIDS (WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION OF THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS)
Vienna University of Technology - TU Wien Vienna
GRANTS FOR POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH IN THE UNITED STATES
Post-Doctoral position in applied economics with a focus on earthquake catastrophe modelling
ETH Zurich Zurich
Assistant Professor in Education
Dublin City University (DCU) Ireland
Research engineer in software development
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan Stockholm