Scientific Software Developer
100%, start date as soon as possible
sciCORE is the center for scientific computing at the University of Basel and one of the technological platforms of SIB - Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics. The main mission of sciCORE is to support scientists at the University of Basel and associated institutes in research domains with high computational demands. Current projects range from life sciences and medicine to physics, chemistry, economy and humanities.
We also operate the IT infrastructure behind several important web-accessible scientific services used by researchers worldwide like the SWISS-MODEL server, SwissRegulon and ISMARA. Finally, as one of the infrastructure nodes of a national network coordinated by SIB, we support biomedical-research projects, such as the Swiss Personalized Health Network (SPHN).
In order to consolidate its team, sciCORE is looking for a scientific software developer with experience in Web technologies to collaborate with researchers to develop scientific applications.
We are looking for a candidate with excellent collaborative skills and experience working in an academic environment. The scientific software developer will work closely in collaboration with researchers at University of Basel, to design, implement, and maintain new and existing scientific applications. In particular we expect the candidate to be proficient in developing web-based services. The scientific software developer will also be responsible to maintain and further develop the website of the sciCORE facility, which includes a series of interactive services for users.
- Masters in computer sciences, computational life sciences, bioinformatics or equivalent
- Advanced proficiency in the Python programming language
- Strong experience of work in Linux environment
- Experience in Back-End and Front-End applications development
- Experience in Python backend frameworks (e.g. Django, Flask)
- Experience in developing RESTful APIs
- Experience in SQL databases, familiarity with NoSQL databases is a plus
- Experience with version control systems (Git)
- Ability to work well on a team and to collaborate and communicate effectively with the target users during the entire software development process
- Capability to multi-task with accuracy and reliability and a demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Experience working in an academic/scientific environment
- Fluent in English
- Previous experience in development of production quality software
- Experience in Continous Intergation/ Continous Development
- Experience in automated code testing
- Experience in containers (docker, docker-compose, kubernetes)
- Familiarity with agile software development
We offer you
- A highly interdisciplinary work environment with challenging tasks
- A management working on agile principles
- Work within a team of experienced and highly motivated software developers, data analysts, and scientific IT specialists.
- Opportunity to work and gain experience with cutting-edge computing technologies, from hardware to management tools
- We support our team members in their own training, networking and career development.
- An initial contract for 2 years, with the option for extension.
Application / Contact
We look forward to receiving your online application including the following documents: CV, letter of interest and references. Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
For further information regarding the position please contact Dr. Lorenza Bordoli by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position will remain open until filled.
Employer's other advertisements
ECONOMICS AND REGULATION OF GRIDS (WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION OF THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS)
Vienna University of Technology - TU Wien Vienna
GRANTS FOR POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH IN THE UNITED STATES
Post-Doctoral position in applied economics with a focus on earthquake catastrophe modelling
ETH Zurich Zurich
Assistant Professor in Education
Dublin City University (DCU) Ireland
Research engineer in software development
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan Stockholm