Doctoral student in Naval Architecture/Ship seakeeping performance
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, Skolan för teknikvetenskap
Third-cycle subject: Vehicle and Maritime Engineering
The PhD position is part of a national project where KTH collaborate with maritime industry partners in Stockholm and Gothenburg, studying seakeeping performance and design criteria of work boats such as pilot boats, rescue boats, boats for maintenance and smaller passenger ferries. Modern vessel procurement is often specified in terms of the vessel system's ability to perform tasks at certain speeds at certain sea conditions, but what this entails in concrete measurable terms is unclear and criteria is lacking. Being able to predict and assess seakeeping performance in different phases of vessel design and operation is crucial for a safe work environment at sea and constitutes the project s aim. The project will focus on smaller vessels where well-established calculation methodology is lacking and on the categorization of how different work operations are influenced by the fact that the work environment is in motion. The overarching aim of the PhD student s work are; Development of methods for predicting and characterizing ship motions or sea properties in safe operating conditions and development of assessment criteria for evaluating working conditions onboard The work will involve numerical and experimental studies, the latter both for validation and data collection, as well as interviewing and questionnaire methods catching the Human Factors perspective of the moving platform s influence on decision making and work performance. Supervision: Tekn. Dr Karl Garme.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic international research environment in close cooperation with industries and advanced universities the world over.
- A personal study plan to support your development within your areas of interest.
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH s Doctoral student salary agreement .
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, one of Europe s fastest growing capitals, which is close to both nature and the sea.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH .
- Unique opportunities for co-supervision from involved experts, options to work periods at an industrial partner s facilities in Stockholm and Gothenburg.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge
- have a master s degree in Naval Architecture, Mechanical or Vehicle Engineering, Engineering Physics or corresponding. Knowledge in ship design, seakeeping and modelling is required. Excellent communication skills in English is required.
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. In the selection of the applicants, the following will be assessed:
- ability to independently pursue his or hers work,
- ability to collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
- motivation for research including field work and periods located at industrial partners in Stockholm and in Gothenburg. Knowledge in Human Factors integration (HFI) is a valued merit.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree.
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those who are or have been admitted to third-cycle studies may be employed as a doctoral student. The term of the initial contract may not exceed one year and may there after be extended. Doctoral students may engage in teaching, research, and administration corresponding to a maximum of 20 % of a full-time position.
Union representatives You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website .
Doctoral section (Students union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons. Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Salary: Monthly salary according to kth's doctoral student salary agreement
Reference number: S-2019-1423
Last application date: 2019-10-04
Employer's other advertisements
ECONOMICS AND REGULATION OF GRIDS (WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION OF THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS)
Vienna University of Technology - TU Wien Vienna
GRANTS FOR POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH IN THE UNITED STATES
Tenure Track position as Assistant Professor in Machine Learning
Umeå University Umeå
PhD in Energy Consumption in Positive Energy Districts
University of Basel Basel
Project Management Officer
Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) Akershus