Doctoral students in Data Science
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, Skolan för elektroteknik och datavetenskap
Third-cycle subject: Computer science
We are looking for highly-qualified and motivated individuals to pursue a PhD in the area of data science. The prospect PhD students will join a newly-established research team in KTH led by professor Aristides Gionis ( https://www.kth.se/profile/argioni/ ). The research team focuses on developing novel methods to extract knowledge from data, modeling large-scale complex systems, and exploring new application areas in data science. Emphasis is given in the areas of graph mining, social-network analysis, modeling of information networks and social-network dynamics, as well as in emerging domains, such as interpretable AI. The work combines foundational research in algorithms with development of novel applications.
The advertised positions are funded by Wallenberg AI, Autonomous Systems and Software Program (WASP), Sweden's largest individual research program that provides a platform for academic research and education, fostering interaction with Sweden's leading companies. Funding is also provided by an ambitious 5-year European Research Council (ERC) Advanced Grant titled REBOUND, which aims to study the phenomena of polarization and echo chambers in online media, and develop methods to mitigate these phenomena.
Successful applicants should have completed successfully, or expected to complete, a Master of Science degree, and have strong background in algorithmic design, data mining, machine learning, and combinatorial optimization. Doctoral students are expected to be able to publish high-quality papers and develop research prototypes.
The doctoral students will be placed at the Royal Institute of Techology and supervised by professor Aristides Gionis.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic international research environment in close cooperation with industries and advanced universities the world over.
- A personal study plan to support your development within your areas of interest.
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH s Doctoral student salary agreement .
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, one of Europe s fastest growing capitals, which is close to both nature and the sea.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH .
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
In order to succeed as an doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. In the selection of the applicants, the following will be assessed:
- ability to independently pursue his or hers work,
- ability to collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
- Applicants must hold or be about to receive a Master of Science degree in computer science, data science, or a related area.
- Applicants must have strong academic credentials, written and spoken English proficiency, communication and teamwork skills.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those who are or have been admitted to third-cycle studies may be employed as a doctoral student. The term of the initial contract may not exceed one year and may there after be extended. Doctoral students may engage in teaching, research, and administration corresponding to a maximum of 20 % of a full-time position.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website .
Doctoral section (Students union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Salary: Monthly salary according to kth's doctoral student salary agreement
Reference number: J-2019-2120
Last application date: 2019-09-30
Employer's other advertisements
ECONOMICS AND REGULATION OF GRIDS (WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION OF THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS)
Vienna University of Technology - TU Wien Vienna
GRANTS FOR POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH IN THE UNITED STATES
Tenure Track position as Assistant Professor in Machine Learning
Umeå University Umeå
PhD in Energy Consumption in Positive Energy Districts
University of Basel Basel
Project Management Officer
Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) Akershus