Scientific Collaborator inFoodborne Disease Epidemiology
The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH) is a world-leading institute in global health with a particular focus on low- and middle-income countries. Associated with the University of Basel, Swiss TPH combines research, services, and education and training at the local, national and international level. Over 800 people from more than 70 nations work at Swiss TPH focusing on infectious
and non-communicable diseases, environment, society and health as well as health systems and interventions. Within the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health (EPH) the Household Economics and Health Systems Research Unit develops and applies economic, epidemiological, statistical and mathematical methods to advance innovation, validation, and application in the field of public health. To support our efforts in the area of infectious diseases and health systems research in Switzerland, the Household Health Systems Research group is looking for a: Scientific Collaborator in Foodborne Disease Epidemiology.
The scientific collaborator will plan and implement a population-based cohort study on acute gastrointestinal illnesses in Switzerland.
Within our Swiss health systems research portfolio, we focus on infectious diseases and surveillance systems. We aim to understand the burden of illness pyramid, hence, how disease incidence at population-level translates into case notification to the mandatory Swiss National Notification System for Infectious Diseases (NNSID). - This involves studying patients (risk factors for disease and helpseeking), but also physicians (clinical, diagnosis and treatment management); and the etiology of a
gastrointestinal episode. You will set up and manage a cohort study on acute gastroenteritis in all Switzerland with multiple research partners.
- Planning, coordinating and managing the epidemiological, aetiological and medical components of the cohort study
- Developing research and data collection tools (epidemiological, clinical, laboratory questionnaires, forms)
- Coordinating field work and collaboration with internal and external partners incl. federal entities
- Study management and budget control
- Statistical data analysis and write-up of results for different target audiences (incl. reporting to funders and preparation of scientific publications)
- Leading the study team, including co-supervising PhD and MSc students together with the PI
- Engaging in other projects of the research group and unit, mainly funded by the Swiss Government and linked to foodborne infectious diseases and surveillance
- Supporting developing funding applications
- PhD/MSc degree in Epidemiology, Public Health, Infectious Diseases or Medicine; evidence of practical experience in planning and implementing epidemiology studies
- Experience in conducting epidemiological studies involving human subjects (surveys, interviewing, clinical data and exposure assessment)
- Background in infectious diseases (especially foodborne infections) and clinical aspects is a strong asset
- Excellent organisational and project management skills
- Experience in managing large databases, quality control, data cleaning and analysis
- Strong communication, presentation and negotiation skills, ability to approach people easily
- Ability to communicate fluently in spoken and written English as well as in at least two official languages of Switzerland (German, French, Italian)
- Strong publication record and drive to publish scientifically in English language
- Experience in exchanging with the stakeholders (public/private) in the Swiss health care system at federal and cantonal level
We offer you
- Possibility to bring in own ideas and interests
- Work in a diverse, multi-disciplinary team and academic environment
- Flexible work schedule Swiss TPH is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity.
Application / Contact
If you are interested, please submit your application with:
- Motivational letter, incl. salary expectations and ideal work effort (80% or fulltime)
- Writing sample
- Course grades and transcripts
- Names and contact information (email or phone) of 3 references Please note that we can only accept applications via our online recruiting tool:
Applications via e-mail or external recruiter will not be considered.
The position is available immediately.
There is no closing date for application, but we encourage applicants to submit their application as soon as possible.
The position is vacant as long as it is published on our Swiss TPH Webpage.
Contact: Prof. Dr. Daniel Mäusezahl, (email@example.com)
Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Duration: Initially a period of 2 years, but can be prolonged if there is mutual interest.
Percentage: 80% or 100%
Travel Requirements: Within Switzerland and Germany as part of setting up the study and networking with the project partners.
Employer's other advertisements
ECONOMICS AND REGULATION OF GRIDS (WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION OF THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS)
Vienna University of Technology - TU Wien Vienna
GRANTS FOR POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH IN THE UNITED STATES
Tenure Track position as Assistant Professor in Machine Learning
Umeå University Umeå
PhD in Energy Consumption in Positive Energy Districts
University of Basel Basel
Project Management Officer
Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) Akershus