Doctoral student in Energy Systems for Buildings and Cities
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, Skolan för industriell teknik och management
Third-cycle subject: Energy and Environmental Systems
The PhD candidate will join the research group called KTH ENSEED (Energy Systems: Engineering, Economics, and Data Analytics) within ETT, department of Energy Technology. The KTH ENSEED team has the main focus on Techno-economic analysis of Energy Systems in Buildings and cities. At city scale, the team works on complex system analysis and modelling of the energy systems for the future cities and districts. At Building level, the team has a particular focus on system dynamics and integration, energy economics, and intelligent control and management of energy systems in the built-environment. The candidate is expected to be an active member of the research group, working on the existing projects and courses as well as developing new projects.
The main research focus of the PhD candidate will be on a project called SmartSol2: Smart Solar Hybrid Solutions for Sustainable European Buildings . This project aims to advance the development of an integrated heating, cooling and electricity system solution for European buildings using solar PVT technology and ground source heat pumps. The project investigates the methods and strategies to reduce both operational and capital cost of the system as well as increasing the system efficiency.
The doctoral student will be supervised by: Associate Professor Hatef Madani and Postdoctoral researcher Nelson Sommerfeldt.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world. Read more
- A compulsory individual study plan to support your development in your area of interest.
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH s Doctoral student salary agreement .
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, one of Europe s fastest growing capitals, which is close to both nature and the sea.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH .
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
- Language requirements
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- Independently pursue his or her work
- Collaborate with others
- Have a professional approach and
- Analyse and work with complex issues
- Deep understanding of Energy Systems in buildings and cities
- Past experience and knowledge of solar energy in the built-environment
- Previous experience of working within courses or projects on energy management at the city/district level
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website .
Doctoral section (Students union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Salary: Monthly salary according to kth's doctoral student salary agreement
Reference number: M-2020-0187
Last application date: 2020-02-27
Employer's other advertisements
ECONOMICS AND REGULATION OF GRIDS (WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION OF THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS)
Vienna University of Technology - TU Wien Vienna
Assistant Professor in Entrepreneurship, SMEs or Strategic Management (tenure track, 100%)
University of St. Gallen Switzerland
W2 Professor of English Business Communication (m/f/d)
Munich University of Applied Sciences Munich
Postdoc in simulation methods
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan Stockholm
Research engineer in internet of DevOps KTH
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan Stockholm