Doctoral student in biocatalytic CO2 fixation
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health
Third-cycle subject: Chemistry
The Syrén lab is recruiting a PhD-student in biocatalytic CO2 fixation and valorization for the project C1Bio funded by VINNOVA. The project involves industrial partners and lays in the forefront of chemistry and biotechnology. The candidate must be highly motivated to learn leading techniques from both disciplines and have an interest towards green chemistry.
The main purpose of this project is to develop methods for biocatalytic fixation of CO2 by designer enzymes capable of generation of more complex molecular building blocks from this inert climate gas. The research area involves the design and development of tailored enzyme catalysts, to expand nature s current capabilities with respect to biosynthesis of green chemicals. The candidate will capitalize on enzyme discovery and predictions from molecular modeling, to discover and further develop novel promiscuous enzyme functions with respect to CO2 valorization.
Collaboration with Science for Life Laboratory will be an integral part of the position.
Supervision: The doctoral student will be supervised by: Ass. Prof. Per-Olof Syrén.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world. Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH s Doctoral student salary agreement .
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH .
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
- Requirements for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
- MSc degree with focus on biocatalysis, biotechnology, biochemistry or green chemistry.
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
- Deep knowledge in molecular biology, analytical chemistry, biocatalysis and/or green chemistry are of merit for this position.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website .
Doctoral section (Students union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST.
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above) . Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Salary: Monthly salary according to kth's doctoral student salary agreement
Reference number: C-2020-0658
Last application date: 2020-06-30
Employer's other advertisements
ECONOMICS AND REGULATION OF GRIDS (WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION OF THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS)
Vienna University of Technology - TU Wien Vienna
Professor in Automated Software Engineering
Umeå University Umeå
Professor in Software Security
Umeå University Umeå
Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-Rector: Learning and Teaching
University of Stellenbosch South Africa
PhD Student in Construction Management and Building Technology
Luleå Tekniska Universitet Luleå