Postdoc in Remote Sensing & AI for Global Environmental Change Monitoring
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, School of Architecture and Built Environment
The Department of Urban Planning and Environment consists of three divisions and is focused specifically on urban and regional studies, geoinformatics and geodesy. The area of expertise includes research on systems, models and tools for understanding, preserving, changing, managing and developing society, the land and the built environment. The ambition is to analyze the prerequisites, conditions and strategies for sustainable social development, both in national and international context.
The Division of Geoinformatics at the Department of Urban Planning and Environment is responsible for both research and education within the broad field of Geospatial Information Technology (GeoIT). The research at the Geoinformatics Division at KTH is focused on methodology development and the applications of GeoIT for sustainable urban/regional planning, environmental change monitoring, transport analysis, and health studies. The Geoinformatics Division is responsible for the GeoIT Profile in the Built Environment Program and for the International Masters of Science Program in Geodesy and Geoinformatics. The Division also offers GeoIT courses to other disciplines such as Urban Planning and Design, and Real Estate Economics.
The postdoc is expected to participate in the on-going projects, conduct high-quality research on Earth Observation (EO) big data analytics, develop innovative deep learning-based methods and algorithms for SAR and optical dense time series processing and analysis, writing scientific papers, co-supervise PhD students, and participate in teaching of courses in remote sensing and image processing.
The on-going projects include:
- Earth Observation Big Data for Global Environmental Change Monitoring
- Senitnel-1/-2 SAR and MSI Time Series for Near Real-Time Wildfire Monitoring
The specific objectives of the projects include:
- Develop novel change detection methods and algorithms using EO big data and deep learning
- Evaluate the capacity of multitemporal Sentinel-I/-2 SAR and MSI data for urban change monitoring
- Evaluate multisensor SAR and optical data for near real-time wildfire monitoring
What we offer
- International workplace.
- A leading technical university that creates knowledge and expertise for a sustainable future.
- Here you get colleagues with high ambitions in an open, curious and dynamic environment.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline. The doctoral degree should be in Geomatics Engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, or other natural science and engineering disciplines
The following qualifications are also required
- Strong knowledge in image processing, and machine learning/ deep learning.
- Demonstrated programming skills for implementing relevant methods and techniques in Python and/or C++
- Ability to design, implement, and test algorithms for processing and classification of SAR and optical images
- Well-developed analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to write and publish scientific papers.
- Good command of English orally and in writing is required to present and publish research results.
- Research expertise
- Educational ability
- Awareness of diversity and equal treatment issues with a particular focus on gender equality
We are looking for a highly motivated person, who is able to work independently, as well as in an international research team.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competence and suitability.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH's webbpage .
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
The application should include the following documents
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Copies of PhD degree. Translations to English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Brief explanation of why you want to conduct research, about your academic interests and how they relate to your previous research and future goals; max 2 pages long.
- Representative publications (Max.: 5): Document no more than 15 pages each. For longer documents (e.g. dissertations), attach a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
- Recommendation letters
- Contact information for two reference persons. We reserve the right to contact references only for selected candidates.
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Reference number: A-2020-1445
Last application date: 2020-08-06
Employer's other advertisements
ECONOMICS AND REGULATION OF GRIDS (WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION OF THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS)
Vienna University of Technology - TU Wien Vienna
Tenure Track position as Assistant Professor in Machine Learning
Umeå University Umeå
PhD scholarship within dairy processing; Innovative processing of goat milk
Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU)
University of Basel Basel
Postdoc Cities, Machine Learning and Network Science
TU Delft Holland