Postdoc in computational enzyme design
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health
Syrén s research group is currently recruiting a postdoc in the development of computational enzyme design methods to enable selective biosynthesis and functionalization of oligomers and oligosaccharides with applications in fine chemicals, flavors and fragrances, and pharmaceuticals. The research is funded by the EUROSTARS program. The successful candidate will contribute to the advancement of computational protein design methods by close interactions with leading industrial partners at the forefront of bioinformatics-based enzyme engineering. The research will be presented at international conferences and in international peer-reviewed journals.
The postdoctoral duties include:
- Computational design of biocatalysts for selective generation of functionalized oligomers.
- Development of state-of-the-art bioinformatic methods for tailoring enzymes for applications in the areas of fine chemicals, flavors and fragrances and pharma, with oligomers / oligosaccharides as building blocks.
- Research conducted in this area is conducted at low TRL levels, ie below 4, which means that the research is of a fundamental nature.
- Actively contribute to the research group's activities, eg through supervision of candidate / master students in the laboratory.
What we offer
- An international workplace.
- A leading technical university that creates knowledge and expertise for a sustainable future.
- Here you get colleagues with high ambitions in an open, curious and dynamic environment.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- A doctoral degree in biochemistry, theoretical chemistry, bioinformatics, green chemistry, or equivalent competencies (or an equivalent foreign degree), obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline.
- Good knowledge of English in speech and writing is necessary to publish and present research results in international conferences and journals.
- Scientific skill with relevant doctorate, ie with experience in bioinformatics, molecular modelling, theoretical chemistry and biochemical methods applied to enzymes active towards oligomers / oligosaccharides.
- "Further experience of suitable characterization techniques of polymeric materials and their building blocks, such as SEM, FTIR, GC-MS, NMR, MALDI-TOF.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competence and suitability.
In addition to basic chemistry, theoretical chemistry, polymer and biochemistry skills, experience of interdisciplinary work and expertise in biomaterials is counted as a merit. In-depth knowledge of molecular biology, analytical chemistry, saccharides, characterization of materials as well as mass spectrometry and organic chemistry are also an advantage. Experience in laboratory work is a merit. Education in biochemistry is a merit, as well as:
- Educational ability
- Awareness of diversity and equal treatment issues with a particular focus on gender equality
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH's webbpage .
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
The application must include the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter (detailing both your previous scientific work experience and your interest in this position, max 2 pages)
- Contact information for three references
Temporary employment for up to 2 years , or by agreement.
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Salary: Monthly salary
Reference number: C-2020-1195
Last application date: 2020-09-30
Employer's other advertisements
ECONOMICS AND REGULATION OF GRIDS (WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION OF THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS)
Vienna University of Technology - TU Wien Vienna
Tenure Track position as Assistant Professor in Machine Learning
Umeå University Umeå
Professor in » Plant Cell Biology «
Technische Universität München (TUM) Munich
1-2 postdoctoral positions in microcomb technology and applications
Postdoctoral researcher, “3D Visualisation & Interface Design” at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Department Literature & Art, Maastricht University 1.0 fte (80% research, 20% teaching), 34 months
Maastricht University Holland