Doctoral student in Wireless Communications
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Third-cycle subject: Information and Communication Technology
The wireless communication technology has evolved over ve generations, but the need for higher e ciency and reliability is never-ending. The research into 6G is starting. To create something radically new, we need to think outside the box. Current cellular networks consist of rooftop-mounted antenna boxes that are surrounded by users. We want to create something entirely di erent: A world where the user is surrounded by many small antennas and electromagnetically active metasurfaces, intelligently con gured to provide great service quality everywhere.
The doctoral students will conduct cutting-edge research into new physical-layer technologies for 6G, such as extremely large aperture arrays, cell-free massive MIMO, and intelligent re ecting surfaces. The research will cover aspects of the media-access control and network layers, and make use of methodologies from communication theory, signal processing, optimization, machine learning, and networking. More information about the research topics is found here.
The research is fully funded by a grant from the Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research and will be carried out at the Division of Communication Systems at the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science . The results will be published in top-level journals and prepare you for a research career.
Supervision: The doctoral student will be supervised by: Professor Emil Björnson. Assistant supervisors will be Cicek Cavdar and Marina Petrova.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world. Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH .
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
- Requirements for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here .
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
A successful candidate must have excellent mathematical skills, a background in communication engineering, and high proficiency in English in both oral and written form. The research mix theory development and programming-based evaluation.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral Degree
Infor mation regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
Doctoral section (Students union)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above) . Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Salary: Monthly salary according to kth's doctoral student salary agreement
Reference number: J-2020-1688
Last application date: 2020-10-01
Employer's other advertisements
ECONOMICS AND REGULATION OF GRIDS (WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION OF THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS)
Vienna University of Technology - TU Wien Vienna
Up to five tenure-track positions as Assistant professor
Umeå University Umeå
Professorship for clinical epidemiology
University of Basel Basel
Senior Bioinformatician / Computational Biologist - Ref.: IOB063
University of Basel Basel
Prorektor til Copenhagen Business School
Copenhagen Business School Copenhagen