Doctoral student in Theory and History of Architecture
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, School of Architecture and Built Environment
The PhD student will join the ongoing Formas research project "Parks around the Towers: Landscape as Resource in the Urban Periphery from the Record Years to the Future, led by Jennifer Mack. Linking original designs for outdoor spaces developed during the Swedish Million Program (1965-1974) to social and physical changes, this interdisciplinary study grounded in eco-feminist, postcolonial, and critical cultural theory combines methods from the history of architecture with ethnography.
The individual project will use case studies to develop a theoretical and historical framework for researching modernism in relation to green space, sustainability, migration, class, gender, and privatization. Combining archival studies and fieldwork in three major cities (Malmö, Gothenburg, and Uppsala) will illuminate past and present conditions to articulate a critical discourse about cultural, social, and ecological landscapes. This project will acknowledge the histories, existing value, and future potential of modernist suburbs.
The doctoral student will be supervised by associate professor Jennifer Mack.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world. Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH .
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- The applicant must have a Master's degree in architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, architectural theory, or related disciplines
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
- Requirements for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here .
To succeed as a doctoral student you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. Candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues
- an affinity with research in architecture
- a willingness to work at the interface between history and theory of architecture and social science
- skills in English writing and speaking and the linguistic skills needed to conduct fieldwork in Swedish contexts
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website .
Doctoral section (Students union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above) . Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Salary: Monthly salary according to kth's doctoral student salary agreement
Reference number: A-2020-1716
Last application date: 2020-10-02
Employer's other advertisements
ECONOMICS AND REGULATION OF GRIDS (WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION OF THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS)
Vienna University of Technology - TU Wien Vienna
Up to five tenure-track positions as Assistant professor
Umeå University Umeå
Professorship for clinical epidemiology
University of Basel Basel
Senior Bioinformatician / Computational Biologist - Ref.: IOB063
University of Basel Basel
Unique Fellowship for Top Female Scientists - Technology, Policy and Management
TU Delft Holland