Doctoral student in Micromachined reconfigurable sub-terahertz antennas
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Third-cycle subject: Electrical Engineering
The research group of RF/microwave/THz MEMS is a part of the Division of Micro and Nano Systems at KTH consisting of more than 50 researchers and Ph.D. students. Research in RF/microwave/THz MEMS is carried out for applications including telecommunication, radar, medical diagnosis and space instruments, at frequencies from 75 to 750 GHz. The research output of the RF/microwave/THz MEMS group is well recognized internationally, and its Ph.D. students have received a total of six IEEE Best Paper Awards and four IEEE Graduate Fellowships in recent years.
The specific research project is on developing novel reconfigurable millimeter-wave and submillimeter-wave antenna systems, to be implemented by micromachining. The project presents a unique opportunity of interdisciplinary research with focus on antenna systmes, microwave/terahertz technology, microsystems/MEMS technology and measurement technology. As a Ph.D. student you will work in an interdisciplinary research team, you will develop your own reconfigurable sub-THz antenna systems concepts. You will model and simulate them with the state-of-the-art design and simulation tools, you will fabricate them utilizing the KTH cleanroom facility, and you will characterize them in our THz laboratory utilizing our state-of-the-art measurement equipment with the possibility of developing your own measurement setup.
Supervision: The doctoral student will be supervised by: Professor Joachim Oberhammer
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world. Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH .
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
- Requirements for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here .
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach,
- analyse and work with complex issues,
- MSc in Electrical Engineering or Engineering Physics or equivalent is necessary. Knowledge in antenna systems, applied physics, RF/microwave engineering and/or microsystem technology/micro-electromechanical systems is advantageous. Knowledge in RF design and microfabrication is advantageous.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website .
Doctoral section (Students union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above) . Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Salary: Monthly salary according to kth's doctoral student salary agreement
Reference number: J-2020-1761
Last application date: 2020-10-26
Employer's other advertisements
ECONOMICS AND REGULATION OF GRIDS (WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION OF THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS)
Vienna University of Technology - TU Wien Vienna
GRANTS FOR POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH IN THE UNITED STATES
ICT System Specialist - Windows Client Manager
University of Basel Basel
Junior ICT Systemspezialist/in Server und Backup
University of Basel Basel
ICT Systemspezialist/in Server und Backup
University of Basel Basel